How to change "Call Option (Equity)" into "Call Index Option"
Posted by Henry Gage on 11 March 2010 09:12 PM
Regarding: How to change "Call Option (Equity)" into "Call Index Option"|
What I need to know is how to change a symbol that is designated "Call Option (Equity)" into "Call Index Option". Since I trade options and each strike/expiration is unique, I will be changing 100's of actual symbols. When I pull up Symbol Add/Modify, I am unable to change the Type to something other than "Call Option (Equity)". Most of my trades go on schedule D. Some will need to go on form 6781. I need a way to put certain symbols that I designate onto form 6781. The only way I see that I can do this is to designate these symbols separately by Type. I saw this idea on your website and it said to contact support for assistance.
The source of this problem is when the symbol is first created the security type is not clearly designated by the import data source. In our next release (after 3.6.01) we will enable editing the security type from the Add/Modify Symbol dialog. That is due in March.
At present you can do the following:
1. Create one sample Index Options using Edit/Symbols/Add Modify (this way you can see the details used)
2. Backup your data: File/Save As Backup
3. Export the symbols: File/Export Symbol Details
4. Edit the symbols using Excel and replace the incorrect types with the correct types (emulate the fields from the example in step 1.)
5. Save the file as .csv
6. Import the symbols: File/Import/Symbol
We added this feature to better address symbol issues. In the future when you import from the same brokerage the imported data will use the modified security type data.
You may also want to visit this page for some details regarding controlling reporting.